Thursday, November 8, 2012

Rutabaga Fries, or how much do you love your rutabagas???

I love my rutabagas very much.

Shallots and pearl onions
Rutabaga with onions and garlic
Image by downtownpearl
On Wednesday I had a burger for dinner, and thought I'd try something a little different than french fries. I had read about rutabaga fries, and since I had half a rutabaga leftover from earlier in the week, I thought let's give this a go.

I admit, I didn't re-read the recipe before I made the fries, so they took a while to cook. Apparently you should steam them first, dry them thoroughly, toss in oil (and herbs or spices as desired) and bake.  Instead I just cut into french fries, tossed in olive oil, salt and pepper, and hot pepper flakes, and cooked at 400F for about 40 minutes, tossing from time to time.  They were delicious: crispy, buttery, with a little heat from the pepper.  What a nice change from french fries.

Here's the original recipe:

Rosemary Rutabaga "Fries" -- from Stephen Cooks!
6 servings, about 4 ounces each

Ingredients
  • 1 rutabaga, about a pound and a half
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 4 sprigs fresh rosemary, minced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • Salt, to taste
Preheat oven to 400ยบ.

1. Peel the rutabaga and cut it in 1/2" x 1'2" spears. 
2. Steam about 12 minutes in a steamer basket until just tender. 
3. Dry the spears with paper towels and then toss with the olive oil, the garlic and the rosemary.
4. Lay the rutabaga spears out in a single layer (ideally with none of the spears touching each other) on a jelly roll pan and bake in the preheated oven about 25  minutes, turning once.  
5. Place them under the broiler for a few minutes, watching closely, to finish browning them. Salt to taste and serve immediately.

Other flavouring suggestions:

1. "Indian." Omit garlic and rosemary. After cooking scatter on some garam masala (recipe below).

2. "Chinese." Omit garlic and rosemary.  Before baking, toss the rutabaga spears in a mixture of hoisin sauce, sesame oil, grated ginger and five-spice powder.


Other ideas for your rutabaga, elsewhere on the web:


Tell me, how do you cook your rutabagas??



No comments:

Post a Comment

sorry i had to turn on moderation; was getting tons of spam. sigh.