Sunday, November 18, 2012

Julian's Fresh Brussels Sprouts Salad














My Facebook friend Julian, who lives in London, posted the other day about how he was about to enjoy a raw brussels sprouts salad. Hmmmm.... I thought... I love salad. And coleslaw. And sprouts. Sounds perfectly delicious!!

Julian has an allotment garden, something that is rare in Toronto, where he grows his own sprouts. Can you colour me jealoooouuuuuse??  I made mine using sprouts from the store. I think fresher is better, so head to the farmer's market if possible.

Julian's garden

Julian's Fresh Brussels Sprouts Salad

INGREDIENTS
3 cups chopped or shredded raw brussel sprouts
1/2 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
3 finely chopped spring onions
A handful of fresh chopped coriander (to taste)
Salt and pepper (to taste)
Juice of 1 lemon
pinch of sugar
1 tsp wholegrain mustard
1 T olive oil

INSTRUCTIONS
1. In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, sugar, mustard and salt and pepper. Slowly whisk in olive oil, until dressing comes together.
2. Trim ends from sprouts, and discard any tough outer leaves.  Chop finely or shred, using knife or mandoline. (If using mandoline leave ends on so that you have a "handle" of sorts to hang on to as you slice).
3. Lightly toast pine nuts in a non-stick pan, on medium-high heat. Toss around as toasting, and keep a close eye on them as they will burn quickly. Should be a very light brown colour once toasted.
4. Chop spring onions and coriander, and combine with sprouts. Drizzle with dressing and toss madly.
5. Gobble up.



Header image by Barbara Agnew, Flickr
Garden image by Julian

4 comments:

  1. Julian's garden looks wonderful! I have never had a green thumb, but so wish I did!

    By the way ... the Shutterfly credit is yours if you want it!! Email me and I'll give you the info :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found you via frugal Queen and am so happy I did because I feel like I'm in heaven with all the lovely recipes and photographs on your beautiful blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi dappled, and welcome! I hope you continue to enjoy the blog and our fun (and frugal) recipes! Catherine

    ReplyDelete

sorry i had to turn on moderation; was getting tons of spam. sigh.