Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Cranberry Relish














Well, my dear American friends, you are on the verge of another Thanksgiving. Happy Thanksgiving to you!! There is so much for me to be thankful for this year... I'm healthy, happy, and back in school following my dream to become a professional photographer.

I've never written down this cranberry relish recipe, which I have been making for years, and quite honestly can't remember where the original came from (but I have a hunch it was the New York Times).  Some people like their relish tart, and others sweet, so add a little sugar to start, and then taste and add more as you go, according to your personal preferences.  If it starts to get a little gummy or dry as you thicken, add a little water or apple juice.

Cranberry Relish

INGREDIENTS
4 cups fresh or unthawed frozen cranberries
1 small red onion, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 cup walnuts, chopped
1 apple, peeled and diced
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup sugar (to taste)

INSTRUCTIONS
Combine all ingredients in large saucepan and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until cranberries burst and sauce thickens. Taste as you go, and if you find it too tart, add more sugar, 1 T at a time.



Photo of fall leaves by Barbara, Flickr

1 comment:

sorry i had to turn on moderation; was getting tons of spam. sigh.