We're cooking with "black" ingredients today and tomorrow, to celebrate "Black Thursday" and "Black Friday" in a non-shopping, non-stressed out way. This recipe is great for those nights that you come home tired and hungry. It's also good for brunch, lunch, and reheats just beautifully the next day.
Sweet Potato, Corn and Black Bean Hash
Adapted from Eating Well
2 teaspoons veggie oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeño pepper, or other hot pepper, seeded and minced
4 teaspoons ground cumin (to taste)
sprinkle of hot pepper flakes (to taste)
3/4 cup veggie stock
3/4 cup frozen corn kernels
1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 lime, cut into wedges
4 T sour cream
4 T salsa
1. Heat oil in a large cast-iron skillet, or frying pan, over medium-high heat.
2. Add onions and sauté until browned in spots, 3 to 5 minutes.
3. While onions are sautéing, microwave the diced sweet potato for 4 minutes, to give it a head start.
4. Add sweet potato and cook, stirring, until it starts to brown in spots, 5 to 7 minutes.
5. Stir in garlic, jalapeño, cumin and salt; sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
6. Add stock and cook, scraping up any browned bits, until liquid is absorbed, 3 to 5 minutes.
7. Stir in corn and black beans and cook until heated through.
8. Stir in cilantro and season with salt and pepper.
9. Serve with lime wedges, slices of avocado, sour cream and salsa.
10. Gobble up!
Image by D. Sharon Pruit, Flickr